Wednesday, February 18, 2015

DIY Simple Sensory Bottles

diybottle

I am constantly looking for simple DIY projects to add to my classroom. These days with the help of Pinterest, it has become a lot easier to find new and creative ideas. For the last couple of months, my Science/Sensory center has been lacking. I think its because I don’t really have enough items in order to rotate them throughout the year.

0218151331

I finally found a great pin about how to make your own sensory bottles. However, after making them. . .I had to throw them away due to breakage. So, I was on the hunt to find bottles that could hold up to my class’ every day wear and tear. I decided to save up some Tropicana orange juice mini bottles. I absolutely LOVE them. First, they are have great shape and size. Secondly, their tops are completely heavy duty and the plastic is very durable and thick. I decided to designate each bottle with a color (I also did white, grey, black, and brown. . .they are just not pictured)

I then used GOO-Gone to get the labels off the bottle and rinsed them, along with the lid, with soapy hot water. After rinsing them, I let them dry over night to make sure there was absolutely no moisture in the bottles (this can create mold once you seal them). I then printed each colored label and placed them on with heavy duty scotch tape (packing tape).

Then I filled each bottle with items that represented that color. Example items included: beads, button, rice, pom poms, water, plastic bugs, plastic toys, foam letters, pipe cleaners, mini popsicle sticks, pretend dollar bills, erasers, marbles, crayons and paper clips.

You don’t have to stick with color bottles, you can make sight words bottles with rice, and my next project holiday & theme bottles for each week!

What do you put in your sensory bottles?

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons license.

No comments:

Post a Comment